AJ in Chuuk

Monday, April 02, 2007

The Past Two Years in Numbers

It's been a long time, everyone, but I'm still here.

I'm in the middle of Easter Break right now. This has been a break all of us have been looking forward to since January. Thank goodness for this break.

But the thing on my mind is the fact that I have 2 months left. It's crazy to think about. But I am resting up in order to reenergize myself, so the last 5 weeks of teaching are worthwhile.

There are new pictures uploaded as well. Enjoy those. And enjoy this blog by numbers.

Also, I can finally say with sincerity: "See you all soon."


Number of times I taught class with footwear: 0

Number of smelly teenage boys that sleep in the dorm right below me: 80

Number of inches my hair grew out to: 6-7

Number of waterfalls hiked to: 3 (4 if you count the Twin Waterfalls as 2)

Number of tiny kids who didn’t speak English I befriended (Let’s do the math: each village/small lagoon island has anywhere from 5-20 little kids, times the number of villages/small lagoon islands I’ve been to. Of course, this does not even count Pohnpei and the dozens of kids in Majuro…): A LOT

Number of new languages I can say "hello" in: 7 (6 of them you probably never heard of before)

Number of feet (depth) that I swam above in the ocean: probably a few
hundred; visibility only went down to 60 feet.

Number of times I experienced below 65 degree weather in the past two years: (not counting the super market in Guam) 0

Number of times to eat strawberries, steak, gorgonzola cheese, bagels, pesto sauce, fresh (insert ANYTHING): 0

Number of students taught: around 150

Number of subjects I had to "master" in order to "teach": 5

Number of times I wore shoes in the past year (starting from this August): 0

Number of satellites viewed in one hour: over 8, then stopped counting.

Number of times it snowed: 3 (just kidding)

Number of sports related to badminton I have mastered: 1

Number of glasses I had to go through: 4

Number of permanent scars (so far): 2

Number of Japanese and Indonesian items of clothing I now own: 3 and 1, respectively, so 4

Number of centimeters of my current (and thickest) zorries (sandles): .9 – 1.2 cm (some parts are worn down)

Number of nights to sleep on the hard floor or hard surface: Probably over 20

Number of days without any power (island power or school generator): record, during last year’s final exams, around 3

Number of days Chuuk had 24-hour power: Well, it began in the middle of this February, but last week we had 3 days without any island power, so about 60. (Of course, there were a few days in those 60 where island power went out for an hour/6 hours/12 hours, then continued generating long lasting power)

Number of times to see the president of the FSM / times we hung out with the president: 3 / 2

Pwa pwa pwi pwi pwe pwe
(The Happy, Friendly Turtle)

5 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool post! Interesting to read all the numbers over the past two years. Props to you for the scars, swimming, glasses, and all the kids you've taught and gotten to know. Unfortunately, I think you'll have to wear shoes when you get back...

 
At 4:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, AJ! Very interesting numbers. Do you have a pair of shoes you can wear on the trip home?
Love, Mom

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AJ -
I don't remember who introduced me to your blog - but as a fellow HC grad I have enjoyed following your stories, checking in every couple months over the past year or so. It is great to see that "Men and Women for Others" are still making an impact around the world. Thank you for your service to others...and thank you for your amusing and interesting stories.
Wishing you the best as you return home and continue finding your way in the world. May your path be full of curves, each more interesting than the last.

 
At 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post.

 
At 9:26 PM, Anonymous Lindsey said...

I just happened to find this blog while searching about Chuuk. I went on a missions trip to Weno and Parem this last summer (2009) to run a bible based english camp for the children. It was the best experience of my life, but i am only 16...This post made me lagh cause i know what you mean, and i was only there 3 weeks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home